Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Remembering Telling Stories

Last year for my first-year Journalism story I interviewed a veteran of the Second World War. He had amazing stories to tell. Although his stories were amazing, my article wasn't great. It wasn't great because I forgot to check my historical facts.

I had errors on the dates and historical happenings in my story. I was confused when I got my story back because I had taken everything the person I interviewed as fact and didn't check myself. This wasn't his fault at all. This was mine. As a journalist it is my job to make sure facts are right. Looking back, yeah it would have been nice to get both historical information and stories from my interview, but it's my job to make sure facts, numbers, and information are correct.

What I also realized from this was that there are amazing stories out there. I think that as long as there are stories to tell there will be jobs for journalists. On the topic of story telling and Remembrance Day, I'd also like to share a story I heard at an Evening with Peter Mansbridge last Friday.

I was fortunate enough to go for free thanks to my journalism instructors Duncan and Joanne and Red River College.

Manbridge shared three stories about what it was to be Canadian.

In 2005 Mansbridge was in Netherlands on the anniversary of D Day. He noticed thousands of men in their 80s walking down the street with thousands of people watching them in the rain. He spotted a mother holding her four year-old son. The young boy was giving high fives to the soldiers, so Mansbridge approached the mother and son and asked why she would bring her son out here. She said "I want my son to know what a Canadian is."

Mansbridge's story and my wonderful experience last year assures me that there are great stories out there to tell as a journalist. It also encourages me to encourage others to take the time to speak with someone who has gone to battle or had experience in military conflict. I guarantee they have seen things that you could never imagine and have amazing stories to tell, which really are a privilege to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment